MIAMI – Since 1995, Homestead-Miami Speedway has been the epicenter for motorsports in South Florida. On Thursday, the Speedway partnered with Ten80 Education, a micro-publisher in STEM curriculum, to host another kind of motorsports event, the Miami Spring Invitational. The invitational featured 140 middle and high school students from Miami-Dade and Palm Beach counties. Students convened at the Speedway’s remote control car track to showcase their teams’ skills in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM).
A total of 12 student teams from nine different schools were on hand for the event as the teams put their STEM knowledge to the test and faced each other in racing and robotics challenges, enterprise presentations, engineering projects and graphic design. The Miami Spring Invitational is a result of countless hours of hard work, determination and preparation from the students as they created projects that directly correlated with those of working professionals.
The following schools from Miami-Dade and Palm Beach counties participated in the Miami Spring Invitational:
- Felix Varela High School (Miami)
- G. Holmes Braddock High School (Miami)
- Hialeah Gardens High School
- Hialeah-Miami Lakes Senior High School
- Jose Marti MAST 6-12 Academy (Hialeah)
- Palmetto Middle School (Pinecrest)
- Terra Environmental Research Institute (Miami)
- The Benjamin School (Palm Beach Gardens)
- W.R. Thomas Middle School (Miami)
Following the competition, the best teams were presented with awards recognizing them for their achievements in the following categories: Data-Driven Design: Jose Marti Academy, Graphic Design: Jose Marti Academy, Enterprise: The Benjamin School, Race Event: TERRA Environmental Research Institute, Grand Champions: The Benjamin School.
As an acknowledgement for the students’ hard work, Homestead-Miami Speedway awarded all participants with tickets to the Ford EcoBoost 400 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series championship race on November 18, 2018. With this, students will get a chance to see how the STEM concepts they have learned apply to NASCAR.
- Race Recap - Las Vegas Motor Speedway
- Jason Taylor Foundation and Homestead-Miami Speedway to hold third annual "Write Track Poetry" Program
- Homestead-Miami Speedway Enters into Partnership with the Franklin Group
- Homestead-Miami Speedway Announces New Community Champion Award
- RACE RECAP- Bristol Motor Speedway