RACE RECAP- Daytona International Speedway
Daytona International Speedway – Daytona Beach, Fla.
Sunday, February 18, 2018
Race Winner: Austin Dillon
Team: No. 3 – Dow Chevrolet
Owner: Richard Childress Racing
Crew Chief: Justin Alexander
IN THE WORDS OF THE WINNER – “I did what I had to do there at the end. I hate it for the No. 10 (Aric Almirola) guys. We had a run, and I stayed in the gas. It is what it is here at Daytona. This is so awesome to take the No. 3 car back to Victory Lane 20 years ago. This one is for Dale Earnhardt, Sr. and all those Sr. fans. I love you guys. We are going to keep kicking butt the rest of the year!”
- Austin Dillon
- Austin Dillon won the 60th annual DAYTONA 500 at Daytona International Speedway Sunday afternoon. For Dillon, it was his second win in 159 career Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series (MENCS) starts.
- It is Dillon’s sixth top-10 finish in 11 MENCS starts at Daytona International Speedway.
- Austin Dillon's win is the third DAYTONA 500 victory for Richard
Childress Racing; Dillon joins Dale Earnhardt (1998) and
Kevin Harvick (2007).
- Rookie Darrell Wallace Jr. finished second while Denny Hamlin claimed third spot
- Kurt Busch won Stage 1 of the race while Ryan Blaney claimed Stage 2.
- With the win, Dillon clinched a spot in the 2018 MENCS playoffs, which culminates with the Ford EcoBoost 400 championship race on Sunday, November 18 at Homestead-Miami Speedway.
NASCAR XFINITY SERIES
- Rookie Tyler Reddick won the 37th annual Power Shares QQQ 300 NASCAR XFINITY Series (NXS) race Saturday afternoon at Daytona International Speedway. Reddick edged out JR Motorsports teammate Elliott Sadler by 0.000 seconds, the closest finish ever in a NASCAR national series race.
- For Reddick, it was his second win in 19 career NXS starts. While it was Reddick’s first win in an NXS race at Daytona International Speedway, he won the truck series race at DIS in 2015.
- Ryan Reed finished third.
- With the win, Reddick clinched a spot in the NXS playoffs, which concludes with the Ford EcoBoost 300 championship race on Saturday, November 17 at Homestead-Miami Speedway.
NASCAR CAMPING WORLD TRUCK SERIES
- Johnny Sauter won the 19th annual NextEra Energy Resources 250 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) race Friday night at Daytona International Speedway.
- The win was Sauter’s 18th in 222 career NCWTS starts, and his third victory at Daytona International Speedway in 10 starts. It was his second win in the last three years at DIS (2016) and his third in the last six years (2013).
- With the win, Sauter secured a spot in the NCWTS playoffs, which concludes with the Ford EcoBoost 200 championship race on Friday, November 16 at Homestead-Miami Speedway.