HOMESTEAD-MIAMI SPEEDWAY'S RACING TO READ BEGINS
Homestead-Miami Speedway, in partnership with Miami-Dade County Public Schools, has launched its Racing to Read program for second grade students at nine South Florida schools. The initiative’s aim is to promote reading among youth. It begins this week and runs through October 26.
Racing to Read features rewards for participating students including:
- Each student who reads a minimum 20 books will receive two tickets to the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championship race, the Ford EcoBoost 400, at Homestead-Miami Speedway on November 18, 2012.
- The school that reads the greatest number of books total will garner a school visit from Homestead-Miami Speedway that includes a race-driven No. 99 Carl Edwards NASCAR car.
- The school with the highest percentage of participation in the program will receive a pizza party, compliments of Homestead-Miami Speedway. All participating students will receive raffle tickets to win exclusive items autographed by NASCAR drivers
“We are proud to offer Racing to Read in coordination with Miami-Dade County Public Schools,” said Homestead-Miami Speedway President Matthew Becherer. “Reading is clearly a key to education and, if NASCAR race tickets serve as a catalyst for children to read more, it will be a victory for everyone involved.”
“Racing to Read will offer our second grade students an additional incentive to read books that they love,” said Miami-Dade County Public Schools Administrative Director Reading/Language Arts Karen Spigler. “We in the District are excited to partner with Homestead-Miami Speedway in this exciting initiative and look forward to it continuing for years to come.”
Miami-Dade County Public Schools selected the following to participate in the inaugural year:
- Homestead -- Air Base Elementary; Coconut Palm K-8 Center; Gateway Environmental K-8 Learning; Goulds Elementary; Redland Elementary; and Redondo Elementary
- Cutler Bay -- Dr. Edward Whigham Elementary
- Leisure City -- Leisure City K-8 Center;
- Palmetto Bay – Pine Lake Elementary
Students in the program can monitor their progress, both individually and against other participating schools, online at homesteadmiamispeedway.com/racingtoread.